Want to make traditional Danish Tartlets with chicken and asparagus? Here’s an authentic recipe for Tarteletter med høns i asparges that is easy to make at home.
- 500-gram meat from a soup hen, or chicken
- 1.5-liter water
- 2 dl Chicken stock
- 2 dl milk
- 70-gram butter
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 400-gram white asparagus
- Tartlet shells
- Boil the water and add the stock
- Add the hen or chicken meat and cook for 20 minutes
- Take out the chicken and cut into smaller pieces, preferably in small squares
- Save the water from the cooked chicken
- If using fresh asparagus, cook it until tender and cut into smaller pieces
- Grab a saucepan and add butter and flour when the butter has melted.
- Add milk and some water from the cooked chicken into the sauce
- Add salt and pepper to the sauce and let simmer for a few minutes
- Add the asparagus and chicken to the sauce and make sure everything is heated
- Now it's time to fill the tartlets. When finished, chop some fresh parsley and garnish on top of the tartlets
You will need a saucepan to make the sauce. It's recommended to buy ready-made tartlet shells in the supermarket to save time.
More about Tarteletter
The chicken and asparagus tartlet is a traditional food from Denmark that doesn’t require many ingredients. It also looks quite fancy and is a great dish to serve when having friends and families over at your place.
This is an authentic Tarteletter recipe that typically gives a yield of 15-20 chicken tartlets. It’s great to combine a classic hønsekødssuppe with Chicken tartlets since you can use both the leftover meat and soup from the hønsekødssuppe.
These tartlets can be served as an appetizer or main course. In Denmark, the dish is referred to as “Mormor-Mad”, which basically means Grandma food. They are traditionally served for Christmas and Easter but are nice to make once in a while, if you get some cravings.
Have you tried this Tarteletter Recipe? Leave a comment below!